My youngest brother, probably my biggest supporter, passed away this summer a few weeks after turning 17. His death shook what little I thought I understood of the world up, and left me finding myself and my old hobbies and interests again- he'd always supported and believed in me, no matter how "weird" the rest of the family thought I was. So in some ways, this is my homage to him. I won't ever give up on myself. I'll be strong, for him....
Anyways, I'm a little shy, lacking a bit in confidence. I have a degree in anthropology, but I work as a secretary. Thus, I get to incorporate a little corp goth into my wardrobe. I have two toddlers, a husband who has embraced the steampunk culture and his own darker side (Jack the Ripper being his main style inspiration). I have a flair for the dramatic and the flamboyant (what can I say... I'm a libra). I ramble and curse a lot more than a proper lady ought. I'm a part-time mermaid saving for a silicone tail of my own, among other things.
My style can best be described as "recovering American Eagle devotee with a secret stash of romantigoth frills and petticoats". On non-fancy days, something along the lines of rocker chick or corp goth. I dabble a bit in dark mori/witchy goth.
Why I thought my perspective was worth sharing:
I found myself searching for a few specific things over and over again--
- "How should I dress at 30?"
- "30 year old goths"
- "Goth Parents"
- "Too old to dress goth?"
I admit to a certain weakness-- I put far too much stock in the opinions of others and always have. I felt compelled to act a certain way, dress a certain way, that the old me was gone because I put on a few pounds since my early 20s and became a wife and mother (twice over!). One blog in particular popped up on my search. I read her post over, over again. She summed it up perfectly: I'm over my normal phase, and I'm coming back to my gothy home, society be damned (paraphrased of course). Find her post here.
I'm exploring my style, how to make a mom of toddlers on the go work the goth look without feeling like I'm looking like I'm trying too hard.
What I plan to blog about:
- My style exploration
- Confidence issues as I journey towards my 30s
- Grief and loss (I'll try to keep this to a minimum, though I think as we age, we find more and more people around us dying.)
- My weight loss journey (I've lost 25 lbs since my daughter was born last December, with about 30 more to go!)
- Relationship, Parenting, and Family Issues of the non-baby bat variety (not that baby bat issues are bad or irrelevant, just that there are plenty of other blogs which do that very thing).
- Societal pressures unique to the aging or Elder Goth tribe.
Sorry for this terribly long, ranty post. I hope you'll join my on my journey, and maybe find something of interest to you. Thank you for reading, and happy haunting. ;)
And for a first time picture, have one of my husband and I on Halloween this year.
- Chicstar lace up blouse with witchy sleeves
- Corset Deal Marcelle Corset
- Retroscope Fashions Black Victorian Bustle Skirt
- Retroscope Fashions Hoop Skirt in Black
- Pink Crinoline from Localovespirate on Etsy
- Unknown thrift shop crinoline
- Unknown black coin belt
- Bongo brand knee high black boots I've owned since junior high XD